Pot Lamb Shanks
SERVES 2 -4 (change servings and units)
- 1 kg lamb shank (4 medium shanks)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium brown onions, sliced
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 200 g mushrooms, coarsely sliced
- 1 cup beer
- 2 teaspoons beef stock powder
- 400 g crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf, broken into quarters
- Heat oil in pan over medium to high heat and brown lamb shanks
on all sides.
- Season lamb shanks with pepper.
- Place sliced onions at bottom of
crock pot and put lamb shanks on top drizzled with remaining oil and juices
from the pan.
- Place mushrooms and garlic cloves over the top.
- Mix beer, Worcestershire sauce, stock powder, tomatoes, oregano, basil,
thyme and bay leaf in a bowl.
- Pour mixture over the top of lamb shanks.
- Cook in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours depending on your crock pot.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve with vegetables and juices poured over the top of the shanks. I served
over wholegrain bread but mashed potatoes would be the best match.